Potato masala (puri masala) is served with puri and used as a filling inside masala dosa. This is a one pot, one shot dish cooked in the Instant Pot.
Serves 3 – 4.
- 2 tsp light oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 2 – 3 sprigs curry leaf
- 1 medium onion, sliced and diced
- 2 green chilies, slit and seeded
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled & chopped
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic
- 2 medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 Tsp cilantro
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- Heat oil in Instant Pot in sauté (normal) mode
- Once oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, dals, asafetida, turmeric, and curry leaves for tempering
- Add the onions, green chili, ginger and sauté covered for 2 minutes
- Add the potatoes, salt, 1/4 cup water.
- Lock the lid in place.
- Press manual or pressure cook and set the time to 4 minutes.
- Do a quick release 5 minutes or so after the pressure cook time is up
- Take a potato masher and mash everything coarsely in the pot.
- If too thick add water, if too wet press sauté to let excess moisture cook off.
- Cancel sauté and add lemon juice and cilantro.
Serve with poori, chapathi, paratha, rice or dosa.